It seems like a lot of fat - how much coconut oil and butter should I be eating?
Many of the basic FAQs about the what is in the diet can be summarized in this way:
Eat less than 20g carbs per day.
Eat .8-1 grams protein per pound of body weight, depending on activity level.
Eat enough fat to feel satiated, and if you’re trying to lose weight, try to get a non-trivial calorie deficit.
For most that’s somewhere in the 20g carbs, 80 or so grams protein, and about 100g fat. That’s 1300 calories a day.
There are plenty of fats to use, and all have pros/cons. For example, I think frying/scrambling eggs in coconut oil is gross.
A useful place to find additional info is in the sidebar/FAQs here: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
- Thanks Artie really helpful summary !
- I weigh 160 lbs–that would be from 128-160 grams of protein—wouldn’t 80 be for an awfully small person?
- You must login to post comments
There are a few things to think about here:
- Fat is not bad or unhealthy. This has been the prevailing myth for 40-50 years, and it’s sometimes hard to let go of. But fat itself is never really a problem (putting aside trans-fat, oxidized seed oils, and other “bad” fats).
- Fat also won’t make you fat – at least not any more than any other macronutrient. To the contrary, fat is pretty satiating, so long as you’re not eating with sugar. So most people who add fat to their keto diet end up eating less over all.
- All of that said, I don’t think most people need to consciously add fat to their diets. If you’re an athlete or otherwise very active, you might need to add extra fat to get enough energy. But if you’re just trying to lose weight or be healthy, adding extra fat just for the heck of it usually isn’t a good idea.
1 Tbsp of MCT oil is 14g of fat. I go for 144g of fat in my diet. The easiest way is to add an extra tbsp of oil/ butter into whatever your cooking. Remember fat is what your burning, it may seem like alot but realistically how many carbs were you eating before starting keto. Fat content will not seem so bad after looking at that…