Is cheese keto?
Hi ewalker – I recently answered this question in an email to folks. It’s copied below:
I know that cheese and dairy products cause a lot of confusion for Keto folks, so here’s why we suggest you avoid cheese on Keto:
It’s more than just macros on Keto…
Cheese fits the Keto food macros well – it’s low in carbs but high in fat. And that’s why traditionally many people have relied heavily on cheese on their keto diet.
However, it’s pretty clear that for weight loss and for general health, you need to think about what you eat a bit more deeper than just it’s got high fat and low carbs…
Here are 3 things to consider about cheese and other dairy:
- Our modern forms of dairy are way more processed than what we ate just 2 generations ago. So they’re often less nutritious and harder for our body to process.
- Cheese is really easy to overeat. And as one of our forum posters (AlohaBird) pointed out, cheese is sometimes called “food with no brakes.” This can make weight loss a lot tougher!
- While it’s still unclear exactly why this is the case, dairy products cause bloating, digestive, sinus, and inflammation problems for a lot of people. This could be due to sensitive to casein and/or lactose. A lot of people find joint pains and acne disappear when they cut out all dairy.
That’s why we strongly suggest avoiding cheese on your Keto diet. Give it a try – you might find that you feel way better!
Hope that helps clarify things 🙂
I do better when my cheese is raw. Raw cheese doesn’t kill all the beneficial enzymes and bacteria in the cheese. I also do a lot better if is goat or sheep raw cheese.
- Fresh cheese like Mozzarella also works for me! I avoid any processed and old cheeses!
- You must login to post comments