Can I do keto if I am breastfeeding?
Thanks for stopping by! I tell my clients to consult with their doctor before beginning any changes in diet. I typically tell my clients that if they get the go-ahead from their doctor then try a keto diet as is but to add in about 20 carbs per day with fresh fruit (berries mainly) if you notice a dip in milk supply.
I found this article useful:
Results from this study showed the following:
- Regardless of the diet, daily breast milk production and daily infant breast milk intake remained the same.
- Neither diet had an effect on milk lactose or protein concentration; however, milk fat concentration and the energy content of milk were higher during the LCHF diet than the HCLF diet.
- Infants’ energy intake (kcal/day) was higher during the LCHF diet than during the HCLF diet.
- The estimated average maternal energy expenditure and the sum of maternal energy expenditure plus milk energy content were higher during the LCHF diet than during the HCLF diet.
Does that help?
- You must login to post comments